Jefferson county ohio early church records
Right before Ohio County and city governments compiled vital records, many people recorded crucial dates, events, and names in their family Bible. Family Bibles are helpful research resources.
- Public Records Search;
- property records west newbury ma.
- Universalist Church of Westfield Center.
- Guide to the United Methodist Church Records, 1784-1984, bulk 1800-1940?
In the first Moravian mission was founded in the area. Quakers and Presbyterians also came to the area early on. In fact, the Quakers held 43 meetings in the area from to The Presbyterians were responsible for founding 17 Ohio towns between the years of and In the Ohio Methodist circuit was founded. Methodists set up camp meetings, log cabins, and circuit riders throughout the region.
Using the collection
There is no thorough compilation or index of Ohio church records. However, the FHL has many of those records on microfilm. A church records survey is also currently being conducted by the Ohio Genealogical Society. Religion played a major role in the early settlement of Ohio. The Catholics and the Methodists made up the largest religious presences in Ohio as of They have an online name index for the or so records that they have published in their newsletters.
Ohio Church Books amazon. Forgot Password.
Legacy Updates - Legacy News
Please enter your email address or username below. Please Signup. Pick Volunteer or Subscriber. Spaces, special symbols or capital letters are not allowed!
Universalist Church of Westfield Center
When John Reinhard came from Washington County in , he found that five other German families had located in this community before him. Having no minister to break unto us the bread of life Soon after this the Rev.
Father Stauch , whose former hearers we were and who may be called the father of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Ohio, visited and encouraged us. The first of these Germans arrived in April, The official record shows that the permanent organization of Good Hope Church was effected by Pastor Johannes Stauch in Since the church had no regular minister, John Reinhard served as the parish catechist. Stauch gave them service every eight weeks.
In , Rev. John Reinhard was licensed ahd served them from that date until He died Jun 6, and is buried in Good Hope cemetery. A log church was built in on land secured from Martin Zwuedert. Zwuedert , whose children spelled their names Swickard , was one of the Hessians captured at Trenton.
Welcome To Historic Wells Township
His services as a teamster in the Sandusky Expedition of Col. Crawford were such that he was given section of government land as a reward. This land grant, signed by Thomas Jefferson , is still in the possession of the Swickard family. He was a member of Good Hope until , when he helped the Methodists to found Tabor church.
Up until this time the Reformed and Lutherans had worshipped in the old log church. George Wile, Daniel Zwuedert, Mrs.